This Web Site contains information on individuals in several Ragle family lines. A draft of a text history is given below in several sequential sections. In addition, selections of family pictures (in GIF or JPEG format) are available for browsing. These pics are taken from a large collection of Ragle pictures in TIFF format available from me.
If you find errors (either factual or HTML), please let me know. Your input is very important! This site is updated and corrected from time to time, and the help of family members and others is very much appreciated. My email address is given below.
If you are concerned about issues bearing on your own personal privacy, please read the note at the bottom of this page.
1. The Ragle Family: Text narrative with pictures, in draft. This section starts in a general way with some early history and deductions about the Ragle surname in the period just following the Revolutionary War, and gradually specializes to the family of Jacob and Susanna [Ritchey] Ragle as this branch of the family migrates into southern Indiana from southwest Virginia and eastern Tennessee.
Table of Contents [sections always under construction]:
2. A Picture Gallery of Descendents of Jacob Ragle & Susanna Ritchey. This picture collection covers principally the line of Peter Ragle [b. 1806] and his wife Margaret Wadsworth, but also contains material on Peter's siblings, Jacob [b. 1803?], Elizabeth [b. 1804, m. Fredrick Halfacre], John [b. 1808, m. Eliza Webster], Margaret [b. 1811, m. George Sutherlin?], and Susannah [b. 1812, m. Hiram Alfred Shepard], all born in Sullivan Co. TN. This is the writer's patriarchal line. Included are a few pictures and captions from the Hulbert family. This is the writer's matriarchal line.
3. Descendents of John Ragle, b. 1808. Material from the family line of Peter's brother, still in early stages of construction, and accordingly not as well organized yet as Item 2.
4. Martin Haga and Parthena Parker Ragle. Texas and California Cousins from this vigorous line. Selected pictures from other lines. The hypertext tree contains many entries from descendents of the siblings of Jacob and Martin Ragle.
5. Some Interesting Places with Ragle Connections. Assorted Photographs.
6. The very large Family Tree file (over 50 pages single spaced) formerly available here has been deleted because several individuals felt that their privacy had been compromised. If you are a family member and want a copy of this file in magnetic form, contact me at the email address below.
It is very important to let me know if you find factual errors in the material! Your contributions to the information contained in this site are welcome (and very important), whether they be new items or corrections of my mistakes. My current email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
The book by Riegel and Reigle: "Riegell to Riggle -- A Genealogy -- 1390 - 1995," Carl R. Riegel and James E. Reigle, Penobscot Press, 1996 suggests antecedents of the lines listed here from the Riegel family.
Regarding Personal Privacy:
A prime purpose of genealogy is to connect LIVING people with those who went before them, as well as with the history of their family and of the course of society. A second, equally important, function is to connect our future with our past. As individuals, we occupy the throat of a giant genealogic hourglass; the records from the past pass through our hands and on to the future, into the hands of our descendents. If we dabble in this flow of information, we must endeavor to do so responsibly. My records do not contain material that is intentionally embarrassing or demeaning. If you are concerned by the fact that your name or other data appear on this site, please let me know, and I will immediately expunge your entry from my public records. I hope that you will consider this issue very carefully before you decide to have your data removed.