Compliments of the Alaska Steamship Company
Annotation by Jane Ragle, during our trip to Fairbanks in the Fall of 1938
Valdez to Valdez Glacier, Pp. 2-3, Miles 0 to 0.5. In the "Gold Rush Days" (until about 1901) the initial part of the route to Fairbanks followed this Glacier!
Wortman's Roadhouse, mid-way along this stretch of the trail, was the normal first-day's stopping place for people traveling by horse or oxen. Originally "Roadhouses" on the Trail were spaced a day's travel apart for horse or oxen sledges. The word "Roadhouse" means an "Inn," a place to eat and sleep, in its Alaskan context.
At the pass height on a clear day, there is a spectacular view of the Worthington Glacier. From this point, the trail winds slowly down through gentler terrain past Willow Lake and The Edgerton Cutoff (to Chitina).
Our first overnight stop was at Mile 80 and the Tonsina Lodge. The Trail proceeds to Copper Center and the Copper Center Roadhouse.
An abandoned roadhouse, Meier's Roadhouse, stands at Mile 174.
We had a mid-afternoon lunch at Paxson Lodge, thence proceeding onward.
The name "Gasoline Creek" is amusing. It is where a steep incline in the Trail required gravity-fed gas tanks to be filled. Our second overnight was spent at the Richardson Roadhouse, Mile 303, departing Oct. 2 at 9 AM.
Arriving in Fairbanks at 12:00 noon.
The remainder of the brochure describes the Steese Highway to Circle City, on the Yukon River.