The "Civilian Pilots Training Program" was established as a civilian program, in 1939, with the government paying for a 72-hour ground school course followed by 35 to 50 hours of flight instruction at facilities located near eleven colleges and universities. One of these colleges was the University of Alaska at Fairbankis. U of A Prdsident Charles E. Bunnell appointed Richard Ragle director of this effort, initially to use Trans-Alaska Corptoration facilitiers at Weeks Field in Fairbanks. Wikipedia contains a large article about this program (q.v.), and both the Farthest North Collegian and the Fairbanks Daily NewsMiner reported on local efforts.