Sources: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 38, Part II, pages 629-30, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1891.

SIR: I have the honor to report the operations of the command during the time I was in command: On the morning of the 2d of August we moved to the extreme right and took position on the right of the Fourteenth Corps. On the 3d, about 12 o'clock, we were ordered forward and to take possession of a high ridge, then occupied by the enemy. My regiment being on the extreme left, I was ordered to cross a ravine and hold a point, which I did, driving the rebels from their strong position, capturing 1 prisoner. Being relieved by a regiment of Colonel Swaine's brigade, I resumed my position on the left of the brigade; threw up works under a heavy fire from the rebel artillery, 1 severely wounded. On the 14th of June I received orders to have the muster and pay rolls made out, which I caused to be done, although commandants of companies had to work at them in the ditches, for the enemy was shelling our position with great spirit. On the morning of the 6th we moved one mile to the right, and advanced forward about one mile, took position on a ridge, and spent very nearly the entire night in fortifying. On the 7th, about 1 p.m., we advanced our lines one mile, driving the enemy, forcing him to abandon his works, and taking possession of the same. We advanced about half a mile farther and threw up works. Having just finished and laid aside our tools to take a little sleep and rest, orders came to change the direction of the line. The order was received at dark. Although the men hungry, sleepy, and worn down from excessive work, still with a will and cheerfulness worthy of their profession, they went to work, and completed the works about 2 p.m. On the 8th we advanced about half a mile; commenced works. Scarcely had we done so when an advance was ordered. We went forward about half a mile, and threw up another line of works. On the morning of the 9th we advanced about one mile, driving the enemy before us into their main works, and came in range of their forts. Here we threw up a line of heavy works. On the 10th we changed direction of the line, changed front forward on tenth company by left half wheel, and threw up another line of heavy works. 11th and 12th, we remained in these works. I am, very respectfully, &c., JACOB RAGLE, Captain, Commanding Regiment. Lieut. S. H. HUBBELL, A.A.A.G., 2nd Brig., 2nd Div., 23rd Army Corps.

June 23, '64

Entrenched Under Fire. Camped under enemy fire in the field.

"...On the 23d my regiment was ordered forward into position on the right of the Twentieth Corps. Here permit me to speak of the brave and gallant conduct of Capt. Jacob Ragle (Company K) and D.C. Ashby, first lieutenant Company H, who had charge of my skirmishers, who bravely held the enemy in check until the regiment could get in position and throw up temporary breast-works..." --Maj. John W. Tucker, commanding 80th Ind., Aug. 22, '64, official report on the Atlanta Campaign